Every time another celebration rolls around I am kindly reminded that all the sugary treats used to celebrate specific occasions are no longer my friends.
With Australia Day approaching the shelves at my local supermarket are overflowing with pre-packaged lamingtons, green and gold iced donuts and all the sweetened creams, syrupy fruits and sugary bases needed to make a classic pav! I should also mention the shelves are fully stocked with hot cross buns too!! Like, what the heck?!!! Anyway I digress...
Australia is internationally renowned for these unique desserts and as such, we eat them en masse every Oz Day.
SO... do not fret if you too are on a health journey like me. I have found some amazing alternatives that mean we can still celebrate whilst also generating some new HEALTHY Australian traditions!!
Sugar Free Lamingtons!
* 125g butter, softened
* 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
* 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
* 3 eggs
* 1 3/4 cup SR flour
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 cups shredded coconut
* 2 Tbs rice malt syrup
* 1/4 cup cacao
* Tbs butter
* 1/2 cup boiling water
* 1 cup raspberries
* 2 tbs chia seeds
* 2 Tbs water
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Beat butter, syrup and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Sift in flour and add milk, stirring to a smooth mixture
4. Pour into a greased pan and bake for 30 mins. Remove from oven and cool on rack before cutting into even squares.
5. In a pan, melt butter, syrup and water together over low heat. Stir through cacao and remove from heat to cool.
6. Dip lamington squares in chocolate, roll in coconut and allow to set.
7. Serve sliced in half with a spread of jam and enjoy!!
To make the jam:
Blend together water, raspberries and chia seeds to a smooth consistency
Simmer in a pan over low heat until reduced to a jammy consistency.
Guilt-Free Aussie Pav!
* 4 egg whites
* 1/2 cup natvia
* 3 tsp arrowroot or cornflour
* Tsp white vinegar
* 300ml reduced fat thickened cream (check su