It's the celebrity fit word that is often synonymous with fad dieting, online weight loss scams and plenty of judgmental rolled eyes- BUT- a nutritional detox could be exactly what your body is longing for!
What is a detox?
A 'detox' -short for detoxification- is the process of ridding the body of unhealthy toxins that interfere with the optimal functioning of bodily organs. It involves eliminating foods and beverages that contain chemicals and additives that burden the liver, kidneys and bowel.
In essence, a detox is a three part process. It primarily involves:
* Eliminating ingestion of chemicals by eating raw, organic, natural products in their unrefined state
* Maximising intake of nutrient dense foods that are rich in detoxifying vitamins and antioxidants
* Increasing intake of water and foods that are high in fibre, to flush out toxins
Why do I need to detox?
Well.... Technically you don't... BUT the benefits associated with healthy detox plans definitely suggest youshould.
Our daily lifestyles expose us to a myriad of chemicals that we ingest or inhale through things such as air pollution, pesticides on food, cigarette smoke, food additives, household cleaners, food packaging and drugs (both legal and illegal). As such our bodies become burdened with an overload of chemicals that need to be processed, which can lead to illness, body imbalance and deficiencies.
Detox diets take the burden off the organs that process waste in the body, allowing them the opportunity to flush out toxins and get the body back to a neutral, alkalised state.
The additional rewarding results of committing to a healthy detox plan include:
* Clear skin
* Increased energy levels
* Improved digestion
* Improved bowel function
* Increased alertness and concentration
* Strengthened immune system
* Assists weight loss
* Improved breath (goodbye morning breath!)
* Healthier hair
* Anti-ageing benefits
* ... and an overall improved sense of wellbeing!
How do I detox in a HEALTHY way?
So now that I've hooked you, I have to try and convince you to give a detox a go! It is important to recogni